Wednesday, August 1, 2012

No Microsoft allowed? Really!?!?

I had a meeting with a customer (who shall remain nameless) and the account rep told me that I was not allowed to bring in any Microsoft products.  The customer was adamant.  None!

No Microsoft?Now I am a tech guy with an android phone, an iPad, and a few PCs.   I have WinXP, Win7, and Ubuntu running on different laptops.  I run virtualization software and  have several images with other OSes.  Our corporate standard is Win7 and MS office suite.  Not the most "non-Microsoft" environment.  I find the right tool or environment for the task and get the job done. Isn't that really what productivity and work are all about?

However, even for me to go Microsoft-free takes some planning.

In addition to PowerPoint, I have OpenOffice and Lotus Symphony, so doing the presentation was easy.  I converted it to PDF, to make it universal and I preloaded the presentation onto my iPad.  I run both IBM Sametime and Microsoft Lync, so I had to hide the latter client on my devices.

I am not anti-Microsoft bigot, but I do try to respect the client's wishes, no matter how unusual. But I learned something from this.

When I was done, I realized that I had a pretty much open source or freeware PC environment.  I had a bunch of $0.99 apps, and yet could be productive.  I don't know if it makes me flexible or foolish wasting time managing and learning different environments.  All I know is the client's requirement was understood, and they were able to listen to me without distraction.

Thankfully, I didn't have a windows phone.

Oh, and this post was done on my iPad, using a Linux based MiFi, typed in a paid app and uploaded in Safari onto Google Blogspot. Microsoft free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.